The Jelly Bean Addiction

It seems that Google just loves candy and that affliction has been trickling down to me, an end consumer, who has developed quite a sweet tooth ...

It seems that Google just loves candy and that affliction has been trickling down to me, an end consumer, who has developed quite a sweet tooth for their OS. I have had the pleasure of using almost all the mobile operating systems that have been around since the early days of Ericsson SH888 with its monochrome 2 line system. I’ve owned Symbian (S60 and S40), Java, iOS and Android devices and have my likes and dislikes for all. But my recent acquisition – the Google Galaxy Nexus – and the sweet taste of the Jelly Bean that it has brought to my tech pallet is what I have become quite addicted to.

Ever since they opened the Android “candy store” with their first iteration of their software i.e. Cupcake. The OS fascinated the mobile using populace even with its many limitations especially on the Bluetooth and web browser fronts. With the competition being Symbian, a far superior system back then; BlackBerry OS with its reputation as the most respected business class mobile OS; and Apple, the new slick OS in town making big waves, Android stood the test of time. We’ve seen Google’s candy connection evolve considerably and from Donuts to Ice Cream Sandwiches we’re now at the Jelly Bean stage.

An addiction

There’s plenty to love about version 4.1 of the Android platform. For me, although having a handset of my own has never really been a priority, my mobile phone has suddenly taken precedence and I find myself doing quite a lot more on my handset than ever before.

With a set up like Jelly Bean, although not altogether dissimilar from its predecessor ICS in terms of UI, the fluid functioning of the system is definitely a step up. Google’s Project Butter is what lays the underlying core of this set up making sure that all systems are ready at any given point of time ensuring that a tap on an icon will instantaneously activate an app. Jelly Beans and butter, what a combination.

The whole idea behind Jelly Bean and Project Butter was to provide Android users with a seamless experience on their handsets and it delivers in spades. I’ve never seen a phone camera work as quickly as this one does. It’s already setting up your next picture almost before the current one has even been saved. It’s an instant process. The almost ridiculous absence of lag and jittery animations makes the system worth investing in. Google even demoed how quick JB is compared to ICS in a short video taken from a special camera that could capture up to 4 million pixels @ 300 fps. Take a look

Games and applications, native or otherwise, run much smoother and transitions between screens, multi-tasking and animations are so much more consistent in terms of fluidity. This is primarily why I have begun using my handset more frequently. The process of multitasking alone between work, videos, games, emails and web access is quick and even the few seconds ICS would have taken seem to have been shaved off.

Of course visibly, other than a much speedier performance, there’s not much that can be pointed out as different between JB and ICS. Smaller details like finally having a Hi-res image for contact mug shots, scalable widgets and speedy voice searches only adds to the overall flavor of the JB platform.

It’s easy enough to get an Android “Jelly Bean” high, if you catch my drift.

Suffice to say, after tasting this little Google treat, I’m hooked. This is what I expected the mobile experience to be like in this day and age of development. Sure a bit of bloatware in terms of customised UIs from various manufacturers is a necessary differentiating factor, but there’s nothing like stock Android to show you how things were meant to be. JB in its true form is the optimal mobile experience as far as I’m concerned.

I’ve enjoyed using quite a few handsets when they were at their peak but never as much as my Galaxy Nexus with Google’s Jelly Bean. I’m stoked to see what they come with next. To close with yet another pun, it’s like being a kid in a candy store all over again.

Report by: Tech2 by Shayne Rana

0 comments:

Post a Comment